May 2, 2010

real talk

I spent the morning uploading 200+ photos to my flickr albums and realized at least one out of every 10 was a picture of my cats. I think this is a pretty accurate depiction of our family life for the past several months.














This is what winter hibernation looks like. Cameron and I have become total homebodies, lounging around under blankets in our pajamas with our cats, reading books and watching TV on the internet (recent faves have been Survivor, Dexter, Modern Family, and Fresh Meat 2). We're likely to pull out the camera only when the cats do something cute and when we venture outside for some adventure. Everything in between is hard work and catatonic recovery from said hard work.

So. The month of May is going to be the long winter thaw. Atmospherically and figuratively. April was a lot of cold and rain and snow, with only one or two real spring weekends (which we took full advantage of). Sometime this month this crazy climate of ours will make the dramatic shift from end-of-winter-"spring" to full-on summer. Along with this change in season will come a welcome change of lifestyle, with bike rides and hikes and camping and picnics in the park and baseball games all becoming more feasible and frequent.

Likewise, this transitionary period is the time for blog catch-up. I'm ready. I can feel it. I've spent some time experimenting with the professional/personal divide I've made for myself on the internet and drawing boundaries. It might seem weird, like the girls on The Hills who film a "reality show" about their "personal lives" while completely ignoring and denying the fact that their actual personal lives revolve around the fame that comes from their reality show (celebrity appearances, talk shows, paparazzi, tabloids, and "music" and "acting" careers). It seems fake and dishonest, and it's certainly an act of omission. But it's one that's important to me right now. To that end, I now have: this personal blog, a professional projects blog, a personal Twitter, a professional networking Twitter, a personal Flickr, a professional Flickr, and a professional alias Facebook account. As for this space, the nearest and dearest to me, I am setting a goal for myself, starting today, to post one batch of photos per day until I am caught up with photo-journaling what I feel to be the best adventures of the past 6-10 months or so in my real-life life.

I hope you like being inundated.

2 comments:

The Mel B said...

I, for one, am excited about being inundated.

hb said...

Oh, so glad to hear it.