May 31, 2010

Atomic Testing Museum

Went to the Atomic Testing Museum today and thoroughly enjoyed it. (I am blogging from from my vacation while Cameron naps. I am one of those people.) It seems unreal that you used to be able to watch a-bombs explode from the Strip, and that the scientists and test site employees had to form their own little town there (Mercury, Nevada). As much as the reality of this is unsettling (I got a little more unnerved by the portions of the museum depicting nuclear testing in my lifetime), I truly geeked out over the 50s-era scientific paraphernalia, including a vintage film explaining the physical properties of atoms, the bomb replicas, emergency fallout kits and pamphlets, that lovely display of Geiger counters, and a beautiful collection of everyday knick knacks inspired by the atomic craze. That run-of-the-mill little office space replete with adorable typewriter, bowling pin, and a 1950s railway calendar (out of view) just kills me!






Verdict: worth a trip to Vegas for this little gem alone.

(All photos from the museum collection here.)

2 comments:

The Mel B said...

Not the Vegas most people see, but more interesting no doubt!

liz said...

That is so cool!