February 7, 2010

a year in movies

One little chronicling project I undertook and stuck with in 2009 is to keep a list of all the movies I watched in a year. For me, the movies I watched can be a quick snapshot that helps me remember a time and a place. I used to save every single one of my movie ticket stubs for just this reason. I think I'll keep this up in 2010 because it's fun to have these collected all in one place to look back on.

I liked each of these movies in their own ways and would recommend almost all of them (just a couple of duds and disappointments, but no real dislikes for the whole year). All of the "popcorn" movies on the list that I actually ventured to the megaplex to see were either a) exactly what I expected (i.e. mildly entertaining but mostly formulaic - Benjamin Button, Up in the Air), or b) pleasant surprises that I was hugely entertained by (Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes).

The italics and accompanying photos are the movies that affected me most deeply and stand out as my favorites of the year. I only counted first-time viewings in this category, but not all were released in 2009. These films share three main characteristics: emotional depth that I connected with, flawless acting, and stunning visuals. Often all of the above.

(List is in chronological order by date watched, includes a link to each film's IMDB page and a note on where I watched it)

Changeling (imdb), dollar theater
Slumdog Millionaire (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (imdb), megaplex
Black Dynamite (imdb), Sundance @ Tower
Afghan Star (imdb), Sundance @ Rose Wagner

Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire (retitled Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire, imdb), Sundance @ Rose Wagner

The Wrestler (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan: Disc 1 (imdb), Netflix
Trouble the Water (imdb), SLC Film Center @ Library Square
Coraline: 3D (imdb), megaplex
The Dhamma Brothers (imdb), SLC Film Center @ Library Square

Wendy and Lucy (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Revolutionary Road (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Groundhog Day (imdb), Netflix
If Lucy Fell (imdb), Netflix
Half Nelson (imdb), rewatch, I own
Gigantic (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Star Trek (imdb), megaplex
The Ice Storm (imdb), Netflix
Adventureland (imdb), dollar theater
Doubt (imdb), Netflix

The Brothers Bloom (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway

Away We Go (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan: Disc 2 (imdb), Netflix

Phoebe in Wonderland (imdb), Netflix
Sicko (imdb), Giovale Library rental
Jackass Number 2 (imdb), rewatch, Cameron owns

Rachel Getting Married (imdb), Netflix
W. (imdb), Netflix
Across the Universe (imdb), borrowed
Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince (imdb), megaplex

The Cove (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway

The Color Purple (imdb), Netflix
Paper Heart (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Romeo & Juliet (imdb), borrowed
Billy Elliott (imdb), Netflix

Up (imdb), dollar theater
Milk (imdb), rewatch, I own
Don't Look Back (imdb), I own
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (imdb), Netflix

Where the Wild Things Are (imdb), megaplex
The Class (imdb), Netflix

The September Issue (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Pieces of April (imdb), rewatch, I own

An Education (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
The Royal Tenenbaums (imdb), rewatch, I own
Fantastic Mr. Fox (imdb), Salt Lake Film Society @ Broadway
Up in the Air (imdb), megaplex
Sherlock Holmes (imdb), megaplex

Grey Gardens (imdb), Netflix
Pirate Radio (imdb), dollar theater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful..

was very happy to see the Brothers Bloom on your list!! definitely one of my favs of the year as well. very serendipitous that we got to go see it =)

~m