The last weekend in July, I carved some space for myself to soak in the summer, gathering a bunch of my favorite little bits of the season and using them to prepare for my new venture. I am a big fan of conscious transitions, the kinds of metaphorical deep breaths that get you ready for a big change. I am also a big fan of meaningful celebrations, tailor-made to suit your feelings surrounding that particular moment. This moment, for me, was bittersweet; I felt accomplished and excited, and calm in my approach to mentally prepare, but sad to leave behind many elements of these past few months. The day I had in mind for this occasion was light and carefree and spontaneously pulled together from a few of my favorite things: blueberry pancakes, fresh wildflowers and produce, a picnic lunch, sunscreen, inflatable rafts, my Diana camera, and a mountain lake.
We started off at the Farmers Market, our first and only visit this season, where I indulged myself with a bouquet of flowers from a little local farm in Ogden. Aren't they lovely? Part of this bundle, dried, will be on my new desk at work.


Then, we loaded up the
Diana for the first time with a fresh pack of film and headed to
East Canyon State Park to float and splash in the water and make a picnic out of our market food. We bought a Coleman one-person raft for ten dollars on sale...and successfully used it as a floater for two.






2 comments:
looks and sounds lovely
I find that if I don't plan to mark life changes in ways that are significant to me, the traditional ways they're celebrated end up being disappointing. And then I feel rushed into the new stage of things without feeling prepared, and that's never a good thing. So, I've made a (sometimes ridiculous) habit in the past few years of celebrating birthdays, new years, graduations, new job or school orientations, etc. in really elaborate, personal ways. That particular mental space - consciously closing one chapter and moving on to another - has been really important to me.
Post a Comment