November 1, 2009

All Hallow's Eve: A Retrospective

A collection of photos of Cameron and I's Halloween costumes over the years. It's a bit of a special holiday for us because it was at the annual Banks family Halloween party that I was first introduced to his entire extended family on his mom's side. Grandparents, cousins, siblings, nieces and nephews all gather round to celebrate each Halloween in full costume, complete with classic games such as the balloon pop, musical chairs, relay races, and limbo. It is because of this fateful night in 2005 that I am sometimes still affectionately referred to at family gatherings as Snow White. And it is one of my favorite nights of the year.

Our costumes tend to involve a great deal of procrastination and some degree of Cameron's last-minute crafting. I knew he was a keeper when he whipped together a prince costume to complement my Snow White using a combination of thrifted women's clothing (frilly blouse), sweatpants, and hand-sewn, gold-embellished-by-hand purple vest and red cape. Sadly, no photos survive of this event except these really terrible car-ride self portraits.



The next year I went with the borrowed and bargained look of the 50s housewife, while Cameron patched together a Steve Zissou costume in under an hour. (My costume also tied in to the costumes of our brand new baby kittens...and the best use of my access to newborn diapers. Ever.)



I don't have any photos of my greatest costume, a pregnant Rosemary from Rosemary's Baby (oh how I miss my Rosemary hair) - but last year was a classic success story with these day-of Mario and Luigi costumes: 100% handmade by Cameron with materials totaling about $5 per person.



Last night was probably my all-time favorite Halloween, and not just because Cameron dressed as a beekeeper and made my honeybee costume with a trip to the DI, some pipe cleaners, a can of black spray paint, and an altered pair of angel wings (or because he fashioned my tail end to be complete with stinger!). Did you know that Cameron is a real-life third generation beekeeper?


This was one of my favorite Halloween celebrations because...
It was prefaced by last week's pumpkin party at Juli & David's.
I decorated with childhood Halloween props (Brown family original fabric candy bag, classic plastic pumpkin bucket), Halloween shrine in the living room nook (skulls & skeletons & spiders & black cats & Dracula), and a fall harvest display of mini pumpkins and apple & cinnamon candles.
Cameron bought me an Edgar Allen Poe card, which promptly went in the Halloween shrine.
We went to lunch together at Toasters (yummm) and it was a beautiful, sunny Fall day.
Cameron made a delicious soup for dinner with black beans, corn, diced tomato, mushrooms, garlic, onion, cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.


We dressed up, stayed in, and built a fort.

Halloween is already Frankie & Finn's favorite holiday. They are black and orange cats, and one of them is named Frankenstein. But this year they really got to go wild when what was meant for a cozy, creepy, tent-style ghost story hut turned into a cat fantasy climbing tower. Box spring unsturdily propped against a wall? Sheet not strong enough to hold them? Flimsy twine holding the whole contraption up? They were not afraid. They had the night of their lives.

We climbed in, turned off all the lights and listened to episodes of the 1930s-era horror radio classic Lights Out - Haunted Cell (airdate 7/20/1946) and Poltergeist (airdate 12/16/1936). Inspired by this and this:

It was amazing.

We ate cinnamon bun cheesecake as a midnight snack, and I ate all the pumpkin candies (my fave) out of my Brach's autumn mix.
We watched Troll 2, the worst low-budget horror movie ever made.
It was the best Halloween.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Those are some pretty awesome costumes!
And sounds like a pretty fun halloween.

Does Cameron get all-natural honey from his honeybees then? Sounds yummy (I want some!). :)

Anonymous said...

you dressed up and stayed in? didn't go anywhere in your costumes?
was the fort just for the heck of it for halloween? how fun!

i just gotta say i love love love how cute and creative you guys are!!

~magpie

hb said...

Kristen, I will check for you on the honey. When he extracts it, which is rarely, he works with someone else's hives, but if he brings some home I will see if I can snag some for you.

M, nope, didn't go out anywhere for Halloween! It was really a relief since other people's ideas of Halloween celebrations usually aren't my style. All that fort building and old horror radio and cheesy movie watching from home made the perfect evening for us!