June 25, 2009

pranayama & other good things

In the past week:
I have taken a road trip with my best childhood friend, who remains my closest female friend and confidant, through Boise, ID, Bend, OR, Crater Lake National Park, OR, Eugene, OR, and Portland, OR.
We did not receive any speeding tickets.
The car tires did not pop, and the car had minimal mechanical problems, none of which we could not solve on our own with common sense.
We did not fight, but learned of each others' differing life perspectives, goals, and philosophies with mutual respect and curiosity.
We have supported each other through momentary life transitions and hardships.
The weather was beautiful and worked always in our favor (with the exception of the shocking 6-foot snow drifts at Crater Lake and the road closure of most of the roads and some of the trails there due to snow - we still slept relatively well and survived the cold temperatures, and were blown away by the lake.)
We built our first successful campfire on our own without the help of any outdoorsy Eagle Scout-type boyfriends (who we will always appreciate, but it's nice to know we could do it on our own if pressed.)
We grew closer and built amazing road trip memories.
We Couchsurfed for the first time.
We met kind and gracious new friends on the road who welcomed us into their homes and shared their love for their cities and states.
We enjoyed each place we visited almost equally and were able to spend time with old friends and family.
I passed out asleep at the airport gate and on the plane on the way home because I felt so exhausted and fulfilled by my trip.

Today:
I practiced yoga and meditation and repeated the mantra "Give me confidence. Give me strength. Give me comfort. Give me confidence that I am right. Give me strength that I can do this. Give me comfort that all will be well" - in response to my current situation and a stressful confrontation I had to go through this afternoon.
I think I handled the situation gracefully and gained confidence in my ability to make it through unpleasantries with my dignity intact.
I felt fully supported and encouraged by my friends, family, and partner.
I will attend my first Bees game of the season to allow myself to de-stress, treat myself, and enjoy the beautiful city in which I live.

No comments: