June 5, 2009

car camping

I've hit a bit of a rough patch in terms of productivity this week - just burning out and losing momentum on the job search front, allowing myself to become a little discouraged and apathetic. I've really "accomplished" little all week, unless you count some basic house cleaning and (much needed) car vacuuming.

But in general, I'm in good spirits and have not once regretted my decision to willingly step into the abyss of The Great Recession as one of the millions of faceless unemployed. It's given me a lot of time to craft dreams of how I'd like my life to be - light on the stress, heavy on the fresh flowers and napping felines, no conniving businessmen, and plenty of Yaris daytripping (and, eventually, travel by train and plane to more faraway places). Morning tea ritual, evening novel reading, lots of blogs and articles in between. Focus on quality of life and companionship rather than acquiring stuff and things.

Case in point: Two weeks ago, Cameron and I took a little time in the middle of the week (ah, the luxury!) to gather our bearings at a secluded camping spot in the Uinta National Forest. The route was an unmarked, steep dirt road up the mountainside, and our company once settled in was wildflower meadows, quaking aspens, a crackling campfire, and the resident deer who poked around while we slept.






No comments: