January 23, 2010

weekender

I had the perfect weekend last weekend. Despite the weather being cold and hazy, Cameron and I bundled up and went on a walking adventure downtown. We toured the Church History Museum on Temple Square, which had all sorts of unexpected treasures like model immigration-ship-style bunk beds you could climb into, death masks, vintage hand-stitched Relief Society banners, and church presidents' glasses! Plus just all the awesome museum stuff you'd expect chronicling 19th century American life - shaving kits and trunks and blankets and shoes. The basement also had a really beautiful exhibit of photographs of LDS historic sites, most in the rural northeast, taken between 1860 and 1928. The whole thing is online here. Having not grown up in Utah, I like to visit places that played a role in Cameron's childhood field trip days (just like the time I took him to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum! Ha!). And how could I not appreciate a free museum that's right down the street? I can't believe I'd never been before.

Plus...
-browsed the used book shelves at Sam Weller's and came away with a few highly sentimental items
-checked out the crop of new cafes on Main Street and enjoyed lunch at Vasuvio's (really good salads)
-saw 500 Days of Summer at the dollar theater Saturday night
-sipped morning tea at Two Creek Sunday morning
-went to the Broadway mid-day on MLK Jr. Day to see the lovely A Single Man

Although this weekend doesn't have the three-day bonus going for it, it will, I hope, make up for in substance what it lacks in leisure. I have a little thing called Sundance to look forward to and enjoy bits of with both my brother from Boise and my sister from D.C., and both their significant others, in town for the festivities.

1 comment:

Mom B. said...

Sounds like a very fun weekend!