September 12, 2009

sea change




Photos by Lindsay Josal, via Simply Photo.

I know I've expressed a reluctance to let go of summer, but the other day I found myself getting butterflies about Fall looking at these pictures. It might not be all sun-dappled and lake swimming and canoe forts, but the appeal of summer is surely overtaken by Fall's crisp air, orange-brown hues, cardigans and flannels and knit tights, chilly hikes, and back-to-school. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a heavy backpack, a neat stack of syllabi, and a picnic in the woods with a baby deer right about now. Sigh.

Realistically though, this autumn has the potential to be jam-packed with good things. Ideally these activities would include:
-the Utah State Fair
-Dutch Oven Cook-Off at the Farmers Market
-visiting the new baby elephant at the zoo
-visiting a farm...maybe for blueberry, raspberry, or apple picking, or maybe a visit to the lavender farm. Anyone know when the lavender harvest occurs?
-driving up to Sundance as the leaves change
-a kayaking/camping trip on the Great Salt Lake. I am determined to make this happen!
-a daytrip to the Spiral Jetty with Cameron, as he's never been
-that backpacking trip I was talking about

You see? Doesn't it look lovely all laid out like that? Unfortunately a lot of these have been sitting on my "to-do" list at least since spring (kayaking), if not for years (Spiral Jetty/Sundance/lavender farm). If my summer list is any indication, I may get around to actually doing three or four of these and leave the rest to carry over to the next season. Now is the time to prioritize and plan.

And don't worry, I have not yet thrown in the towel on sunshine and swimming: in accord with the weather, I still have one foot in and one foot out of summer. These photos remind me nicely of the in-between season we're currently experiencing, where it's cooler in the mornings and late evenings, but daytime temperatures range from 70 to 95 depending on mother nature's mood.



Photos by Anna Aden, via Rifle Made, an amazing blog I just discovered.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I love autumn. It's my favorite. I'm not sure how long the lavender harvest lasts, since they start blooming in July, but you could call to find out. Keep us updated on all your adventures - you're giving me great ideas! :) (and also making me slightly jealous that I can't do everything I would like, realistically) Of course, I guess you can't do everything either, as you said. hahah. But I've always wanted to go apple picking, so let me know if you find one.
I wish fall weather would hurry up and get here - I've really had quite enough of weather close to the 90's!!
And where do you kayak on the salt lake?!

hb said...

Kristen,
Try this website for apple picking:
http://www.pickyourown.org/UT.htm#listings
It doesn't look like there are a lot of places that do it, but I see one that looks pretty legit in Sandy, and a couple of others that you could call if you're serious about it.
You could kayak (or sail) anywhere on the Great Salt Lake that's deep enough, but I would think the most convenient launch points would be the marina (off I-80 W) or Antelope Island. We've been planning to rent the kayaks and paddle from Antelope Island to Fremont Island since my birthday (that was supposed to be my celebration but it was too cold and the shops weren't renting kayaks). I can't wait! I hope it won't have to wait until next summer, because I'd really like to go.