March 16, 2011

storms a-brewin'

I had to drive out to Tooele this afternoon and made a spontaneous stop at Saltair, since I've always meant to visit it and never have, and was handily armed with my iPhone camera. What is now a venue for random concerts and raves (most recently, Ke$ha) was once a pretty amazing bathing resort/amusement park on the Great Salt Lake (circa 1893-1925, rebuilt after being destroyed by fire - twice.)

The history of this place floors me. It's unbelievable to see old pictures compared to now, when the lake water is what seems like a mile away from the building, and almost everyone steers clear of it. I walked almost all the way out to the water, but as you can see, there were some intensely foreboding storm clouds above me and as I got farther and farther out on those desolate salt flats, the wind suddenly picked up like crazy and I had one of those scary panicky stomach-dropping moments that actually happen to me quite frequently on the Great Salt Lake - the storms out there are no joke! And I seem to get stuck in one whenever I go near the place, though I still love it so. They come on quick, and I always seem to be either alone or close to it, and far enough out that I'm certain I'll be struck by lightning by the time I get back to safety.








Adventure!

I really hugely, unironically think that the Great Salt Lake and all of the West Desert is one of the most beautiful areas of a very beautiful state. I know I'm in the minority here, but...do you see it?

3 comments:

Liz said...

I happen to agree with you. It feels like being on another planet. The desolation is beautiful. Its one of the many unique and amazing things i love about Utah. And I love looking at pictures of the saltair back in it's heyday.

hb said...

Liz, I'm so glad you agree! It's crazy to me that so many people drive past the lake every day, and think it's ugly and smelly and should just be mined for minerals. They wouldn't dream of swimming in it. The only other people I ever see out there are people on road trips or from a foreign country.

Mom B. said...

Beautiful pictures Heather. Glad to hear that you have come to love Utah, or at least parts of it!